Latest in Geek

SOLO is so awesome

I admit that THE LAST JEDI left me a little chilled, if not cold, with some of the choices made by the singular writer/director. And my ...

Thursday, November 2, 2017

DC non-Rebirth gives new life



DC has slipped in a few non-Rebirth books in the past year and a half. Sure, there have been those Hanna-Barbara books, and the odd WB cartoon character crossovers with all sorts of DC standard bearers (like my beloved Legion of Super Heroes). But I'm talking about the regular DC characters who many may have forgotten over the years. And for the most part, the results have been a success.

Here's a look at 3 of the most recent ones:

Deadman # 1 (out yesterday)



Neal Adams. Sigh. Neal Adams really loves Neal Adams. Thinks he's a genius on all fronts. And DC seem to give him anything he wants, no matter what. Maybe he knows where some bodies are buried. Maybe he was mobbed up with Vinnie Colletta and Carmine Infantino back in the day. Who knows?

I will admit that I have a bad impression of Adams from my first encounter with him a few years back at Heroes Con in Charlotte, NC. It was the first time I had gone to Heroes in over 20 years, and I was taking my 10 year old son to his first Con.

We met Jim Steranko first thing as we wandered the long rows. It just happened that we ran across his table first. And I told my son that we had to stop at the table and meet a true legend of the business. We bought a couple of prints (Indiana Jones concept art, which Steranko signed to my son) and we chatted with him. What a great guy. Super friendly, and eager to talk. It felt great to meet him, despite my never having been a giant fan of his comic work.

As the day moved along, we stumbled upon Neal Adams (then modest) mini-mall booth set up. I thought that it would be worth meeting him. And the line was pretty long. Still, we had all day, and this guy was a serious legend too. So we got in line. I perused the prints on display at the tables, and I picked out one that I really liked (a Green Arrow black and white one). I noted that there was a slight discount for buying 3 or more prints, but I was trying to be good and not over do it. And one was plenty.

When we arrived at the head of the line, Adams smiled and greeted us. I chatted briefly, telling him what an honor it was to meet a real legend. I made sure to tell my son that he was a major creator, who helped revolutionize the industry. He didn't say thanks, or anything like it. He looked down at the print in my hand, and began to push me to buy two more to save on the pricing. I politely said that I really just wanted to get this one, but might come back around later for more later in the day. He insisted that the deal was only good now, and I should take advantage. I declined and got him to sign the one I had, which he did in a somewhat dismissive manner, as if he thought I were a fool for not buying 3 prints and saving $5 in doing so.

And that was that. I now had a negative impression of Neal Adams because he was less interested in fans and more interested in making sales.

I'm sure others have had better experiences with him. But it did taint my impression.

Now... Deadman #1, with its glow in the dark cover:

Written, drawn and colored by Adams, the book has the makings of a great re-introduction of the character in the modern DC universe setting. Instead it is oddly disjointed and written in a manner that betrays the personalities of characters like Commissioner Gordon (what is he doing as an Ambassador inspecting Japan's nuclear arsenal??) and Batman/Bruce Wayne. Boston Brand comes off as twitchy and a bit of a dick. I much preferred the more Gothic take on the character back in the 90s.

I wanted to like this book. Really, I did. But Adams should not be allowed to write comics. He is a great artist still, but his writing is just plain bad, especially the dialogue. The plot isn't bad, but it is just so poorly executed that it was almost laughable at times, reading it. I am still curious about where the plot is going. I may pick up #2, but am doubtful I'll be on board for the full 6 issue run.

Rating: 5 out o10

RAGMAN #1:



Ragman gets extra props after the great use of the character on TV's ARROW last season. I loved the way they handled it, and I paid more attention to this mostly lost character from the 1970s (I remember seeing the first series back then) than ever before. I think he would be a great part of some DC team of weirdos (like Creeper, Phantom Stranger and others).

The new series is very modern/real world-esque and takes Rory and places him as a recent war vet who mysteriously survived his unit getting wiped out while they were raiding an ancient site. The mystical aspects don't come into heavy play in #1, but his journey to sort out his PTSD and figure out what happened that allowed him to survive do. Spoiler: it's the Ragman rags.

Ray Fawkes does a great job writing the book, giving us a more grounded background. This could exist inside or outside of the DC continuity, and it wouldn't matter either way. In fact, keeping it out of the Rebirth may give Fawkes more room to grow the character and story, without worrying about Doomsday Clocks and buttons and whatnot.

I was unfamiliar with Inanki Miranda's art before this book, but really enjoy it. It is the right amount of realistic mixed with the other worldly.

I'm getting the next issues eagerly.

Rating: 8 out of 10

MISTER MIRACLE #1 -3



This was a hot book on day one. Mitch Gerads' art and Tom King's writing were getting a lot of early positive talk. In fact, I ended up not getting it, as all of the local shops were sold out on day one. I did eventually get a second printing of #1, along with #2 and #3 (on the day of its release).

I have never been a Fourth World fan. I did like Mister Miracle, Big Barda and Oberon in Justice League International back in the day, and enjoyed how they fit in with that band of misfits. I will always have a soft spot for anyone from that JLI era.

It felt like those characters from page one, yet with a clearly darker turn or two in their lives that have nudged them toward something very jarring. We see Scott Free, in #1, dealing with having tried to kill himself. He says it is a trick. He was just trying to escape death. But clearly, something more is going on.

He is having odd memories and being haunted by things from the past, including an old friend (I won't spoil it, but it was a truly sad moment that moved me - rare in comics these days) as he tries to sort out whatever it is that is the root of his pain.

It doesn't help that there is a war with Darkseid that pulls Scott and Barda back to the Fourth World for a major war that will unfold over the 12 issues.

The writing is as good as you could wish for in comics. Better than most. Reading it made me feel like I did back in the mid-1980s when I read Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns. There's a depth here that is too often lacking. There's an emotional tether that pulls the reader along. And the art is evocative while being rather simple, with creative flourishes that give it a look that is wholly unique. Gerads rises beyond his already great potential, and lands firmly in the top shelf of current talent. I've liked his work previously, but this one is above and beyond.

The first issue was riveting, start to finish. It is simply the best comic I've read all year.

Rating: 10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment