Latest in Geek

SOLO is so awesome

I admit that THE LAST JEDI left me a little chilled, if not cold, with some of the choices made by the singular writer/director. And my ...

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Barenaked Supergirl and the Legion?



Supergirl, season 3, episode 3 had a moment that got my attention. Perhaps not everyone would have perked up at hearing this sly little musical inside "joke," but I did.

The band is Barenaked Ladies. The song is "It's All Been Done." Now, what got my attention, at first was the fact that the song is nearly 20 years old at this point, so it was an odd addition to a CW show, where you expect to hear trendy new songs. Never mind that Britany Spears's "Hit Me Baby One More Time" turned up later in the episode.



Instantly I knew that the Barenaked Ladies song was a possible Legion of Super Heroes reference, which was a subtle trolling of Legion fans who happen to also know Barenaked Ladies songs from the late 1990s. Perhaps a small group.

Here's a late-in-the-song lyric:

Alone and bored on a thirtieth-century night
Will I see you on The Price Is Right?
Will I cry? Will I smile?
As you run down the aisle?
It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before
                                                             (Live on Conan from 1999)
Now, since I knew the song, I remembered the 30th century lyric, because at the time I first heard it, I made a mental connection to the Legion, being a Legion fan.
Question is: who is it on Supergirl that also knows the song, and wanted to slide it into the episode to see if anyone picked up on the connection? It can't have been just a coincidence, since the song is an odd choice to have on the show unless it served an Easter Egg type purpose.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I don't think I am. I think someone did it on purpose, and I sussed it out. I'm sure others did too, but I posted it within seconds of the moment on the show last night, so I will claim that I was the first person to catch this little hidden gem.
Now, if I am calling it, I would say that the lyrics may hint that Mon-El will return, with some futuristic friends in time to spoil the wedding of Kara's sis, Alex to Maggie.



No comments:

Post a Comment