Latest in Geek

SOLO is so awesome

I admit that THE LAST JEDI left me a little chilled, if not cold, with some of the choices made by the singular writer/director. And my ...

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

New season of heroes on the TV


A new season is here for Super Hero goodness on TV. Specifically, the CW network where hosts of DC heroes take to the streets and skies for action every week.

Here's a quick round up on the shows so far:

Supergirl: Still a charming delight of a show (and my step daughter's favorite of them all). Love Melissa Benoist in the role and the ensemble around her. Naturally, I am hoping for a major Legion of Super Heroes appearance (or multiple) this year with Mon-El lost in space and time, and Saturn Girl scheduled to appear at some point this year!

The Flash: I don't know. I'm getting a little weary of the overly soapy angst that has entered the show. Last season ended with a massively shoe-horned in there cliff hanger, which was resolved quickly in the new seasons's first episode. Too quickly, for my taste. Plus, it feels too much like old Star Trek Next Gen season cliffhangers that seemed impossible to overcome that were somehow simply resolved in the next season, making the whole thing anti-climactic (except "Mr. Worf: Fire!" for the Borg one).

Legends of Tomorrow: I really enjoy that this show is the light-hearted and goofier of the shows. It really reminds me of the Justice League International of the 1980s (see the Omnibus out today!). In fact, I've been hoping for Booster Gold and Blue Beetle to show up, but I found a few moments in the new season's first episode made me realize that they are doing that duo, but letting Steel and The Atom play those parts. While I love the dynamic, I hate that it will likely prevent the Blue and Gold from making the team. Still, I love this rowdy ride of a show, even when they have a few off the mark episodes.

Arrow: After a great cliffhanger last season, the show chose to not pick up after it, but pick up months later and show, in flash back (hey - they said they were quitting that this season!), how each person was effected by the island blowing up. Black Siren is back, and the convoluted Laurel/Dinah Lance/Drake Canary conundrum that the writers put themselves into with Laurel's death is still a drag on the show. Still... Arrow was better last season than the one before, and I have high hopes for this season too. Just stop with Oliver and Felicity romance shipping already.

On other networks I have finally tuned out Gotham (it never really worked for me) and Agents of SHIELD is no longer on my radar too. Marvel's Inhumans had a laughable pilot episode filled with slow motion sequences that only made the episode about 20 minutes longer than it could have been, and that horrible old trope of police camera footage that is shot for shot a match to the filmed sequences we saw already. Sigh. They really are trying to cheap out on Inhumans. Aside from a premise that is a bit overwrought, I kind of like the show now that its gotten going. Too bad it was already canceled for season two before we saw the first episode.

I can't figure out if The Orville is a geeky, loving send up for ST Next Gen, or an updated attempt at the old show Quark. Most episodes are pretty lame, but the most recent one was pretty good. So who knows?

Star Trek Discovery had a great pilot. I'll be watching the rest of them once they all air and I get a free preview month of the CBS Ap. So, stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment